Thursday, April 29, 2010

Only Me, Only Me


So I watched this amazing movie called "This is England" a few months ago that was quite good and was all about punk movement developing in England during the Falklands War (Early 80's). It was about a lot of other things too, but what really grabbed me was the soundtrack. It was really beautiful, that's the best way I can describe it, just beautiful. It has a tremendous amount of range too, it goes from classical to soul to punk/synth-pop in just a few songs.

This soundtrack also led me to the discovery of one of my latest obsessions as well, the band Strawberry Switchblade. They were a one hit wonder in the mid-80's with their song "Since Yesterday" (featured on the soundtrack) and later faded into obscurity. I downloaded their "best of" material and have been blown away by some of the songs. Their voices are just amazing, so wistful and sad but somehow are laced with sugar. Today they could hold their own against both established and emerging artists. I'd say they are the love child of Emily Haines/Goldfrapp/Early Madonna. Plus these girls had great fashion sense, if you can just get over their hair (it was really cool during that time I suppose) and look at some of their clothes, its amazing. I swear a lot of people wear the exact same stuff today just slightly alerted. The video isn't one of the BEST examples so I wouldnt pay attention to their clothes in it, but the song is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment