Thursday, November 12, 2009

What is Art?

As my 1st semester of post-secondary education is coming to an end, I find myself freaking out a bit. I also find myself asking important questions. Why do I want to pursue art? What does the art world do for me? And most importantly what is Art?

I'm constantly torn between design and fine art. Do I major in illustration where I can doodle characters for stories? Or should I transfer these doodles onto large scale canvas with dripping paint and become a fine artist, who may not make as much money but will be more content with my life?

I was always told that it doesn't matter how much money you make as long as you do what you love. But with a degree in fine art do I really want to end up working at starbucks?

Art to me is everything, or at least I want it to be my everything. I want it to be my spouse. I want to have a passionate love hate relationship with it. I want to eat sleep and breathe it.
I want to be surrounded by the culture and beauty of it.
With the last few weeks of my 1st semester coming to an end I think i've made my decision.



No comments:

Post a Comment